A Day in the Life

A while back, Robin from The Balanced Life, threw out the idea of doing a day in the life post. Of course, I thought it was a good idea, but it was just during a busy time. So, I didn't get to it right away.

But, I decided to go for it today and share a little bit about daily life around here. I enjoyed keeping track of all the little details as well as taking more "real" camera photos (I took over 200...goodness!)

Let's start at the beginning:

3:00am: I hear Luke fussing and check the monitor. I usually wait about ten or so minutes before I go in to him since he'll often go back to sleep. But, tonight, his fusses become cries. I nurse him for a few minutes, he relaxes, and then I put him back into his crib. By the time I put the dog out (since, of course, he needs to go out too...), Luke is asleep.

7:00-7:45am: The alarm goes off and Josh goes in and gets Luke out of bed. Josh changes his diaper and brings him into our room for his morning breakfast. I nurse him and often read something on my iPhone while he chomps. Josh goes to make coffee and eat breakfast. Luke finishes eating, and Josh brings me coffee. We sip and chat while Luke sits up and plays between us.

7:45-8:15am: I call this the pump and jump time. Since I'm working about 10 hours outside the home, I pump almost every morning. I put Luke in his jumperoo and I get to pumping while the Today Show is on in the background. Josh leaves for school at about 8:00.

8:15-8:30am: I pull Luke out of his jumper, and we sit for a few minutes. Then, we head to the nursery for a diaper change and morning nap. I read him a few books, we cuddle, and then I put him down. He's out for the count in about five minutes.

8:30-10:00am: Luke is still an unpredictable napper, but today he took a solid morning nap (other days, he takes a short one). I worked a bit on some custom onesies that were part of an adoption auction, catch up on some blog reading, and do a few other computer tasks. Then, I hear Luke stirring.

10-11:00am: I pull Luke out and change his table. We spend some time giggling and laughing while I finally change him out of his pajamas. Then, I feed him. After he's done eating, I let him play on the floor for a few minutes while I prep supper in the crockpot.

11:00-11:30am: I get a little snack ready for him and get him situated in his chair. Today, we are trying out ReSqueeze pouches (more on that later), and he's all for it. I, unfortunately, got pureed carrot all over me during the prepping stage (user error). Josh comes home unexpectedly for lunch and chats with Luke and me.

11:30-12: It's time for Luke's nap, so we go back through the diaper change, reading together, and snuggle routine. By noon, he's snoozing away.

12:00-12:45pm: Josh and I eat lunch while I make him watch a cheesy TLC program with me. It was nice to have some time to chat midday and eat lunch together. Josh hurries back to school, and I decide to conquer the dishes. Right when I finished the dishes (go figure!), Luke wakes up.

12:45-2:30pm: Luke wakes up earlier than expected, so it wasn't quite time for him to eat. I decide that a short walk is in order. I bundle Luke up, put him in the Beco, grab the dog, and we take a fifteen minute walk in the crisp fall air. After we get back, I nurse him. Then, it's play time again. He loves to sit up and chew on his toys, jump in his jumperoo, and play with me. But, by 2:15, he's ready for another nap. So, we do the before-nap routine once again :)

2:30-3:15pm: This is usually the time of day that I have my "rest" time on non-go-to-work-days (I work from 3-8 on Tuesdays/Thursdays). At this point, I also realized that I hadn't washed my face or brushed my teeth (so I quickly do that!). Then, I chose to work on some ebook stuff, catch up on blogs, dream about a post-graduation getaway, and have my snack. Although Luke typically sleeps for about an hour an half during this nap period, today he decided to take a short one (boo). He wakes up super fussy and half-awake, so I wait for a few minutes to see if he'll go back to sleep. He doesn't.

3:15-5:00pm: Like the morning, we go through the play, eat, change the diaper, and play (and play) again routine. Although he is often resisting a late afternoon nap, I tried to see if he would take one today since he took such a short afternoon nap. No luck. After it's clear he won't sleep, I get him out from his crib.

5:00-6:00pm: At this point, if I'm honest, I'm struggling to find things to do with Luke. He likes to play, but he's still at that age where he doesn't do a whole lot. He doesn't crawl yet, and he's still a wobbly sitter. Thankfully, Josh comes home, so we eat supper and let Luke chill for a few moments in his rock and play (which he has outgrown, we decide).

6:00-6:45pm: Josh goes to study, and I nurse Luke for the last time of the day. After he eats, he's in a very happy mood, so we have some giggle time. Even though it's been a long day, these moments are sweet, and I am so thankful for them! Since it's small group night, we were headed to Chick-fil-a for a shakes with them. So, I got Luke ready for bed, brought him in to sit with Josh while I changed, and then we head out to Chick-fil-a with our small group from church.

6:45-8pm: Enjoy time with friends at Chick-fil-a, and Luke is a trooper :) But, Josh has a big test in the morning and Luke starts getting fussy (especially since he typically goes to bed at 7), so we head home.

8:00(ish)pm-: I start working on this post. I'll finish it and then probably head to bed.

Uffda. That was a lot of words. Although each day is a little different, there's usually a steady rhythm of eat, play, sleep on repeat :) If you have a "day in the life" post, please post a link in the comments--I'd love to see what your day looks like!


  1. I'm so glad you joined in Nicole! I loved reading a day in your life - and can relate to a lot of it. Especially the eat play sleep on repeat :) You got some GORGEOUS photos in this post as well! xo


Post a Comment

Popular Posts