Some of them were familiar: baking soda, lemon, etc.
Some, not so much: castile soap, washing soda, borax, etc.
If you are interested in making some of your own cleaning products, it pays to invest in some of these products. At first, you have to invest a little change, but once you have the product, it often lasts long time and saves you a lot of money!
Here's my list of 6 ingredients that I would recommend buying to help you get started making homemade cleaning products:
1. Essential Oils: I love lavender, but there are a lot of other scents to choose from. I like lavender because not only does it smell yummy, but it also disinfects. This is not a must-have product, but it definitely helps keep your home smelling fresh and clean. Plus, essential oils have a lot of other wonderful uses!
2. Fels-Naptha or other non-fussy bar of soap: When I make my laundry detergent, I use a bar of Ivory and it works just fine. But, I've heard wonderful things about Fels-naptha (especially in regards to laundry detergent). I am planning on picking up a bar or two for my next round of detergent.
3. Castile Soap: You can buy castile soap in a solid form or in the liquid form. I use this for my homemade all-purpose cleaner, but you can also use it for laundry detergent, dish soap, and even shampoo! Check out this post for more ideas!
4. Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda: This is what I would call an essential homemade cleaner ingredient. I use it for my all-purpose cleaner and laundry detergent. Plus, you can use it so many other ways!
5. Vinegar: Vinegar is great product to have on hand for your homemade cleaning products. I use it in my all-purpose cleaner, but it can also be used to get rid of odors, bacteria, and germs.
6. Borax: Again, I use this for my laundry detergent, but it can be used in so many other ways. I often use it to make a paste to clean my sink or bathtub. Did you know that it can also be used as a pesticide?
Of course, this list is not exhaustive. Other ingredients, such as lemon and baking soda, are also wonderful to have in your homemade cleaning product arsenal.
Do you have any products to add to the list? Do you have any other fun uses for these cleaning ingredients?
ps. some affiliate links were used :)